Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Failed Halloween Costume



There's a dog boutique that we sometimes stop by on our way to one of our favorite restaurants that allows dogs on the patio. I'm a sucker for dog boutiques and all the ridiculous stuff they make. I try to stick to toys and bones but deep down I kind of wish Maki would wear sweaters, coats, and costumes in addition to the occasional bandana. I often insist that he try on at least one thing while we're in the store. I came very close to convincing Daniel and Maki that a reflective, water-proof, fleece-lined coat was just what he needed for the rainy season, but they didn't have his size :(

One recent success (not from the dog boutique) but something I was determined Maki must have is a Kuranda dog cot for the backyard patio. He uses it about half the time, luckily I found it cheap on Craigslist :) Here's a pic.


Sorry for the tangent back on track to the topic of this posting, Halloween costume. Last week we were back in the boutique and they had the Halloween costumes on sale and I insisted he try them on. I manged to wedge him into a green mohawked zebra costume which I loved but it was meant for smaller dogs and only one leg fit :( He looked decent in a dracula cape and we probably should have chosen that one but I insisted that he try the Dogzilla costume which looks more like a dinosaur or Barney's girlfriend or Dorothy the Dinosaur. And also insisted that he looked good and we needed to purchase it! Here's a picture of him enjoying his costume :)


So really he hated the costume and had difficulty walking. I think it was built for a different body type. He also kept trying to gnaw the parts off around his legs. Finally he gave up and refused to do anything but sulk. I also realized that the costume is very stupid and the head piece makes no sense. If you pull the cap down he can't see and if you leave it up then he has four eyes and two sets of teeth and looks more like his head is being eaten by a cartoon.

We returned it today and with my copious free time I have hopes of making a sweet cape or something more acceptable for Maki!


2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poor Maki! Dogs should NOT wear clothing! Elizabeth... come on!

    (To be fair, Shergar does wear a costume when I take her to the annual Halloween party at the nursing home where she & I volunteer. Check the cheap-o $1 bins at Target. That's where I've found Sherg's costume (a cape and something else I can't remember) the last two years.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kelly, I saw pet costumes in the dollar bins at Target. Or have him be Super Maki, take a blue dish towel, attach to his collar, and using colored tape make a triangle with an M in it!

    ReplyDelete